Thursday, January 2, 2014

The new year, Raclette and fireworks

Happy New Years people!

Being in Germany for New Years was a bag mixed of surprises. Dinner was amazing, I can describe it as a Lego meal, in the sense that you have to put it together to eat it. I was excited about it, because I was never allowed to play with my food. but, there I was mixing and matching cooking and grilling my bite size meal. I wanna eat Raclette every weekend if possible.

Raclette and salt (beer for comparison)
Raclette
After eating and drinking, what's a family to do? You go to the streets and show your appreciation for Chinese creativity, that's how. I had seen fireworks back home on Independence day, New Years, sure. Had I actually do it my self? No, not really. So, my adopted family began to explain how it works. I just kept asking: "Do we have permits to do this?" "Is this cool with the neighbors?" And everyone's favorite. "So, do I just hold this (fire cracker) or throw it?". I sent a message to my mom and sister. "They have fireworks here" what I meant to say was "I'm about to burn myself with firecrackers, I love you guys. Sorry I wasn't a better son and brother." My mother replied "I hope you don't get burn" what she meant to say was, "it was nice knowing you." My sister replied "Haha" what she meant was "Payback time."

To my surprise, all the neighbors were outside, wishing each other a happy new year. Pulling boxes out. Shortly after the firework display started. Basically everyone in the neighborhood had bought at least a box of fire works. And were celebrating until the last firecracker exploded. Needless to say, I liked it and can't wait for next year.

Let's get back to business. Happy 2014.

No comments:

Post a Comment