Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Idstein and the food lady.

I was in Idstein. Which is basically one of the oldest towns in Germany their castle dates back to the 12th century. It even comes with a witches tower. But that isn't the amazing part.

Idstein

From the moment I set foot in Germany people have been respectful and well behaved. A complete 180 from my experience in Italy. As I mentioned this old town is small but packed with tourist and locals. We decided to try one of their coffee shops/hangouts. As we entered we were greeted with a big smile and a hearty 'hallo'. Deciding what to snack on was difficult because, everything looked good. One thing that seems universal when it comes to food is this. If you add corn and a touch of hot sauce to anything and you can call it "Mexican" or "Southwestern" style. I opted for what it seemed the most American thing on the menu a Mexican sandwich and a piece of Nussecke, that I'm not sure how to described besides delicious.

The "Mexican" sandwich and "Nussecke"

We took our food and drinks and sat down in this quiet place. Shortly after an older woman sat in the table next to us, she said hello as is customary here (I'm guessing). A few minutes later her food arrived, it smelled delicious and looked amazing. It was sort of like a French pizza. My girlfriend and I looked at each other while inhaling the wonderful scent this thing was dispersing around us. We complimented the dish. "It looks good", the lady then said "thank you". I expected something like I'll tell you what it tasted like later, or I'll let you know if it's good. Instead, the nice woman offered half her meal. We politely declined, she insisted. I thought we were gonna have to hose her down. I'm not used to that kind of people. The nice, no hidden agenda, wanting to do good kind. It was weird to me but also opened my eyes to the type of people I will be dealing here with. I might just become a better person on this journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment